Skip to content ↓

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do I report my child’s absence?

You may report your child’s absence on the telephone, where there is an option to report absence on our automated system by leaving a message. Alternatively, you can email Please remember to provide the following information in your email/phone message:

  1. Child's name
  2. Child's class
  3. Reason for absence

If you are dropping off a sibling you could also report an absence directly to the School Office.

If your child requires a routine appointment (e.g. with a doctor, dentist or optician) we would expect this to be taken outside of school hours.  We do understand that on occasions your child may need an emergency appointment and will need to be collected from school during the day.  Please use the email address, call the school or pop in and see us in the School Office to let us know about any appointments. In respect of future hospital appointments which cannot be rearranged out of school hours, please can we ask that you bring a copy of the appointment letter for our records.

  • Which medicines can you administer?

We can administer medicines which are prescribed for a specific illness where the dosage instructions ask for 4 times per day.  We are also able to administer over the counter medicines such as Calpol for the purpose of pain relief following an injury. If we are unable to administer medication, parents can arrange to come in to school at lunch time to give medication to their child if necessary.

For any medication that you require us to administer, you must complete and sign an ‘Administration of Medication Form’.  These are available from the School Office and on the Information for Parents section of the school website.

  • How can I make payments to the school?

Payments for clubs, trips, swimming and school dinners can be made via our online payment system (Scopay). Payments can also be made by cheque (made payable to Paxcroft Primary School) or cash. If payinf by cheque or cash, please place your payment in an envelope labelled with your child's name, class, amount being paid and reason for payment (e.g. school dinners). Envelopes are available at the school office. Your sealed envelope can then be handed directly to the School Office or dropped into the secure post-box which is located in the foyer.  

Please contact the school office on if you have any payment queries or would like to be set up with a Scopay account in order to make online payments.

  • How far in advance do I need to book Breakfast and After School Enrichment Clubs?

We require a minimum of 48 hours notice for all Breakfast and After School Club (wraparound care) bookings. You can book online via Scopay or complete a booking form. Forms are available at the School Office. All bookings need to be paid for in advance.

  • My child is new to the school.  When can they start Breakfast and After School Enrichment Clubs?

When children first start school in their Reception year they do so on a reduced timetable.  This will be for around 3 – 5 weeks depending on their age and how well they settle. Once a child is full time and their class teacher believes that they are ready, they can then start to attend Breakfast and After School Clubs.  The reason we wait for your child to be attending school full time and deemed ready by a teacher is because starting school can be a very tiring and emotional time for children of that age and we want their entrance into school to be as positive as possible. 

  • What clubs are available after school and how often can we sign up for them?

Clubs are available at the start of each long term (e.g. September, January and April).  Forms come home the term before (with the exception of September) to request spaces for these clubs.  Places will be issued on a first come, first served basis.  There are some clubs which run all year round, for example PH Sports Football and gym club. Other clubs are seasonal. These include TAG rugby, cricket, cross country, netball, rounders and cookery club. 

  • Do you provide hot meals?

Hot meals are prepared on site daily by our own cooks - Mrs McKenna and Mrs Lockwood.  Parents can book their children’s meal choices via Scopay or can collect a paper form from the School Office. We communicate via Parentmail when the menu booking window opens each month. 

Meals are seasonal meaning that there are heartier, more filling meals in the autumn and winter months and some lighter options are available in spring/summer.  Children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 are entitled to free meals under the Universal Free School Meals scheme.  Meals for children in KS2 are £2.40 each.  Some children/families also qualify for Free School Meals.  For every child on this scheme the school receives funding. This funding is used to support our Pupil Premium children with various costs. As such, we would encourage all families that are eligible to fill out an application form, even if their child is already getting free meals under the Universal Free School Meals scheme.  If you are in any doubt, have any questions or would like to apply, please see the School Office.

  • What will happen if I wish to take my child out of school during the term time?

Taking your child out of school during term time may harm your child’s academic progress. 

Applications for time off during the school term need to be made using a Leave of Absence form. Forms are available in the School Office or in the Information for Parents section of the school website.  Absences due to holiday in term time or other family reasons may only be authorised at the discretion of the Headteacher in exceptional circumstances. Therefore, please be certain to provide details of the exceptional circumstances and attach any supporting evidence when completing a Leave of Absence Form.

Please be aware that Penalty Notices for unauthorised leave of absence during term time will now be automatically requested from the local authority when unauthorised absences of 10 or more sessions (5 school days) are taken in any six month period in the academic year.