Welcome to Falcon Class!
We hope you all had an excellent summer holiday and are now excited to get started in the new academic year. We are a mixed Year 5 and 6 class. We are taught by Mrs Sager and our teaching assistant Mrs Hulbert. Mrs Scotney also supports us in our learning during the mornings.
On our term pages you can find links to the termly curriculum letter and topic web which outlines how our topic links to the National Curriculum. You can also find a link to our Home Learning tasks which are project ideas based on our topic.
If you are looking for some ideas for books for you and your child to get stuck into, then there is a link to the Schools Reading List website.
WC 1st October
Our literacy curriculum workshops took place this week and I would like to thank all that attended. We covered the following topics:
- Reading. We encourage you to read regularly with your child and to try to ensure they have a wide reading diet, which includes different authors and styles. Non-fiction / newspapers eg First News, which is widely available is often a popular option even with reluctant readers. Graphic novels, too, are an excellent way of coaxing a reluctant reader. If you feel your child is 'stuck in a rut' re-reading the same author or style of books then why not pop on down to the Town Library? The librarians have extensive knowledge of children's fiction and can help find an author in the style of your child's favourite. We also spoke about the importance of developing children into active readers by asking questions about unfamiliar words as well about the text and why characters act in a certain way. Please fine a web link below to Books for Keeps, an excellent online source of up to date information about children's literature.
- Spelling.We outlined our approach to spelling at Paxcroft. All of the children have been given an exercise book, in addition to their spelling folders, so they can really practise their statutory words and spelling patterns, in a regular, systematic way. Little and often is the recommended approach. We will be monitoring their use and the children have been warned of the consequence of insufficient effort. As last Friday was a training day and the previous Friday was when Tommy visited, spelling home learning was disrupted. This past week we have practised words with silent letters in class sessions. Usually, new spelling home learning is issued on Friday and I expect the folders and new spelling books in on Thursday.
- Date for diary - next Tuesday 9th October is our next curriculum workshop - How to help your child with Maths.
Congratulations to our new school councillors, Izzy Davidson and Bethany Mason and well done to all who stood for election.
On Friday 21st September Tommy visited and set up his trench in Falcon classroom. The children were spellbound by Tommy, who gave us a tour of the trench and told us about the gritty reality of life in the trenches. Ask your children what being 'chatty' is and how the soldiers dealt with this. We also learned how best to deal with gas attack before gas masks were invented.
All of 5 / 6 thoroughly enjoyed Tommy's visit and we learned a lot.
Well done to all year 6s who stood for election as House Captains and congratulations to the successful candidates. Congratulations too, to our new Year 5 Youth Parliamentarian, Oscar Reeve.This week we will elect Falcon's school councillors. If you are interested in representing our class in the School Council, please prepare a short speech, outlining your reasons.
The first spelling pattern homework has been set and I would like all the children's spelling folders in on Thursday 20th September.
On Friday 21st we look forward to welcoming 'Tommy' who will set up his WW1 trench and give the children an insight into life in the trenches.
- Youth Parliament elections for Year 5 will be held on Tuesday morning. Anyone who would like to put themselves forward will need to prepare a short speech to present to KS2. The first meeting for the Youth Parliament will be held on Wednesday 12th September.
- House Captain elections will be held next Friday afternoon. Any year 6 children who would like to put themselves forward for the role should prepare a short speech and campaign poster.
- Swimming starts for Year 5 this week. Please note the coach leaves promptly at 9 am.
- Term starts on Wednesday for all year 5 & 6 children